All Saints' Episcopal Church, Whitman, Mass.


La Farge Windows

I sing a song of the Saints of God,
patient and brave and true,
who toiled and fought and lived and died
for the Lord they loved and knew.
-- L. Scott 1929

This History is only a brief introduction.  In 2002, we published a 40 page history covering 1897-2002, and (God willing) will publish an updated edition of a century of life here at All Saints in 2010 (one-hundredth anniversary of the laying of the cornerstone).  Anyone who has facts which should be included in the 2010 edition are encouraged to bring those to my attention. – Richard W. Tingblad

Clergy 1897 - present

As a Mission under governance of St. Paul’s, Brockton:
Rev. George Alexander Strong 1897 Rector, St. Paul’s Church, Brockton
Layreaders under governance of St. Paul’s Brockton from 1897-1903:

Mr. Ralph Parsons Smith

  Senior at Episcopal
Theological Seminary, Cambridge.
Mr. Donald Mayo Brookman    
Mr. Harlan H. Ryder    
Mr. Thomas Clyman Campbell    
Rev. Francis Bingham White 1903? Rector, St. Paul’s
As a Mission under governance of the Diocese:
Mr. William E. Williamson 1905 Layreader
Mr. Frank R. Rathbone 1908 Layreader
Mr. Clayton M. Legge 1909-10 Layreader, later First Vicar
Mr. Patton 1911-14 Shared with Braintree
Mr. Hughes 1914 Interim
Rev. John Matteson 1914-39 Shared with Rockland
Rev. Alfred Longmeier 1940-49 Vicar
Rev. Charles Boyd 1950-53 Vicar
As a Parish:
Rev. J. Franklin Rudderham 1954-72 Rector
Rev. Donald Miller 1972-77 Rector
Rev. William Fox 1977 Interim
Rev. Norman R. Meservey 1978-83 Rector
Rev. Dale Van Meter 1983 Interim
Rev. Thomas R. White 1984-92 Rector
Rev. William Eddy 1992-3 Interim
Rev. James “Dutch” Nelson 1993 Interim
Rev. Dana F. Boynton 1994-2002 Rector
Rev. Edward Boucher 2002-3 Interim
Revs. Doug & Patti Hale 2003-7 Co-Rectors
Rev. Patti Hale 2008- Rector
The chancel area, probably taken early in the church's history.

Clubs And Organizations Over The Century

Bible Study
Boy’s Club
Brotherhood of St. Andrew
Couples Club
Episcopal Churchwomen
Girls Friendly Society
Lawrence Club
Maids and Matrons
Men’s Club
Men’s Division of Church Service League
Prayer Line
Small Saints Playgroup
Women’s Guild
Young People’s Fellowship
Youth Group

The Church Building

“The first services of the Episcopal Church held in Whitman were conducted in several local homes by The Rev. George Alexander Strong, Rector of St. Paul’s Church of Brockton, during the Lenten season of 1897. Rev. Mr. Strong discussed the plan of holding regular services and starting a Mission (under the auspices of St. Paul’s). It was the Sunday before All Saints’ Day, 1897 [Oct. 31] that the first regular service was held in Jenkins’ Block, and the date helped in deciding the name of All Saints’ Mission.” (from a History by Mary Kalor Hutchinson, 1910)

In 1905, the mission came under the direct auspices of the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts.

In October 1908, the first Parish Meeting voted, “to purchase for $2,000, property on the northerly side of Park Avenue from Clara M. Corthell.” This land was occupied by an old machine shop.

The old machine shop, where the first services were held.

Mr. Clayton M. Legge, the first Vicar, was responsible for the drive to remodel the machine shop into a chapel. He then set about leading the members in fundraising for a new building. “The turning of the first sod for the new church cellar took place on the fifth Sunday in July 1910 [31 July].” (M. Hutchinson)

August 31, 1910 – The Cornerstone was laid by Bishop Lawrence, in an impressive service. The stone is engraved with a cross and 1910.

December 30, 1910 – The Church building was completed, and a Dedicatory Service was held. Bishop Lawrence preached the sermon and confirmed 8 persons. A few years later, two stained-glass windows created by John LaFarge were added, donated by the Episcopal Theological Seminary.

December 16, 1928 – It was voted to purchase the Luddy House at the corner of Washington Street and Myrtle Avenue, for a Rectory.

March 13, 1953 – “Favorable vote of the Standing Committee of the Diocese on our application for admission into union with the Convention as a Parish.”

May 29, 1953 – “Plans for attaching a suitable structure to the rear of the present Church” resulted in the addition of a parish hall, named for Rev. Matteson, on the East side of the Church.

The church building, probably taken in the 1940's, before the addition of the parish hall.

February 12, 1954 – Good Friday ecumenical 3-hour Services began at All Saints.

January 9, 1966 – Holy Communion was celebrated only on the third Sunday at Family Service, all other Sundays being Morning Prayer. This was standard here until 1985.

November 11, 1966 – A dinner was held to celebrate the burning of the Parish Hall mortgage.

1968 – The Undercroft was divided into 4 small rooms.

1983 -- The Rectory at 708 Washington Street was sold for $31,000. Proceeds of the sale were put into a fund to make mortgage loans to Rectors.

1989 – A new electronic organ was installed to replace the beloved pipe organ, deemed too expensive to repair.

1998 – A building program added a handicapped access restroom to the Parish Hall and 3 classrooms in the basement.

2000 – Annual Meeting voted to proceed with a handicap-access elevator to the Sanctuary.


Welcome | Worship | History & Building | Calendar | Youth | Newsletter | Community Connections | Directions